Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's stuff

I am trying to rid my life of stuff. Not things, but the emotional attachment to stuff. Things that don't matter are stuff. There are things that matter, like Reid, Everett, Xavier, Tyler, my family, friends, and people I care about. There are things that are things, nothing more. Cars, televisions, computers, tablets, etc. can be replaced. Happiness cannot be replaced. Couches, beds, baseball bats, books, etc. are things.

We all spend so much time worrying about our phones, computers, tablets, cars, furniture, brand names of clothes, (insert any other thing here) that we forget to spend quality time with the people we love. We forget the smile of a three year old flinging virtual jellybeans on a phone or tablet is important; the tablet is just stuff.

I have noticed everyone is dependent on some piece of electronics, but not on people anymore. I am included in this "everyone." We take human contact for granted. We take each other for granted. People don't stay together like they used to, I think, because no one really cares about anyone else. People care about status, stuff. I am the exception somewhat to this rule. I care too much about people. It isn't status, but I do care what people think of me somewhat. I want to be liked, to be loved. I have always had unconditional love from my parents, grandparents, and Reid, but they kind of have to love me, or at least should. Until I met Everett, I had never REALLY experienced unconditional love from anyone that didn't have to love me.

Since experiencing unconditional love has made me take stock in the importance of things. When Reid and I were in Wal-mart today a guy "cut" in front of us in line. He only had one thing, and I elected to just let him go. I could have protested for the principle of being first, but it really isn't worth my time. It's stuff. There are things worth being upset about, a sick family member, someone being mean to my child, missing a friend, but having to wait two more minutes at Wal-mart is not one of them.

We need to focus more on the things that matter, and not worry about stuff. God will take care of the stuff for us. He will provide what we need in order to lead healthy happy lives. We only need to put our faith in Him. We don't need to put our faith in STUFF. So here's to getting rid of the stuff in our lives and to focusing on the truly important aspects of this life! I have things that I really like, but they are just things. I must focus on the PEOPLE I really love. God Bless you and your loved ones, may your stuff never come first!

No comments:

Post a Comment