Monday, February 3, 2014

Be Pacific.... HEHEHE English Grammar Nazi on the loose.

Recently my buddy Carl Jones posted some of his pet peeves. One of my biggest pet peeves is specificity. I can't stand for someone to say they don't believe in something that clearly exists. Here is an example: I don't believe in abortions. Well, I think what you are trying to say is that you don't believe that having an abortion is the right choice. They exist. Not believing in something does not take it out of being. I, personally, do not believe that an abortion is the right thing to do. I also do not believe in condemning others for doing things differently than I. I know that this occurs, so I don't believe in practicing this myself, and I try not to.

I said in my last post that I don't believe that divorce should be the first answer to marriage problems. I used to say I didn't believe in divorce. I never condemned people who got divorces, because I don't know what prompted them to do so. I know we all make choices when we are faced with situations that we may or may not think we would make. Hypothetical questions are funny. I can sit here and claim that I would not react a certain way in a million years in a certain situation, but the truth of the matter is, until I am faced with that situation, I don't know what my reaction will truly be.

It's like when Christians say they don't believe in Satan. Yes, you do. You don't worship Satan, but you cannot believe in one without believing in the other. Not worshiping Satan and not believing in Satan are not the same thing. Say what you mean. 

Or how some people say I don't believe in Racism, or Gay people, or any number of things. I don't believe racism is fair or right, but my classmates at A&T can tell you racism very much exists. Not believing in it doesn't make it non-existent. Gay people exist. Maybe you disagree with the lifestyle, but not believing in someone is just silly.

Another form of specificity I have an issue with is something I hear all the time now. It's the phrase "any kind of way." I usually hear it in the form "oh he/ she can't talk to me/ you any kind of way." WTF does that mean? If I am talking to you I am talking to you in some sort of way. Do you mean in any kind of negative way? Then say that. I don't know that just makes me nuts. Tell me what kind of way I can't talk to you. Any kind of way is non specific.

Say what you mean. Even if it is mean. I would rather you be mean and honest than be absurd. At least you will be abundantly clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment